Sunday, August 24, 2014

Monday Made It August 25th


I'm linking with 4th Grade Frolics for the Monday Made it!


Wow! Now that school is back in session, I am exhausted. It seems I barely have time to make dinner or clean my messy house. So I haven't made a lot of things. My first item I actually made the week school started & just finished it up this week. I got the idea from HERE.  Last year I had a math word wall, but I didn't like it. I felt it was too "busy" and really wasn't helpful. I saw this idea & knew it's what I wanted. I already had the vocabulary cards. Therefore I just had to create headings. Indiana is not teaching Common Core anymore so I created my headings based on the Indiana Standards headings. Then I spray painted my yardsticks, hot glued the clothespins on, and used a staple gun to attach it to the cork wall.I used Command Hooks to hold the sets of cards. (I don't actually have them all sorted yet.)



We've been working on place value the last week. My students really liked playing this game using cards. I've played this game for years in my classroom. I just updated my boards a little bit since some of them were getting old. I have two versions I use. The first version we only go to the thousands' place. The second version I use larger construction paper and we go to the hundred thousands' place. Students use a deck of cards and the mats I created. They take turns drawing a card from the pile. The object it to make the largest number. I require the students to write their number down on their scoring sheet to compare. Then the student with the largest number has to be able to say their number correctly to get the point for that round.

I am so excited about my third "made it". We are getting ready to start rounding in my classroom this week. Rounding is such a HUGE ordeal in 3rd grade. It seems like we spend an enormous amount of time on it. Therefore I need a lot of different activities to practice and teach the same skill. I decided to make a rounding 4 corners game to use in my classroom. I LOVE 4 corners games because it gets students up and moving which helps with the restless energy. 
I also love them because there is NO printing or laminating! It's a huge time saver. You simply download the game and you can play it instantly with your class.

Click on the picture.

My rounding 4 corners game is on sale for $1.00 for the next 24 hours. 


post signature

2 comments:

  1. You were busy! Your classroom looks great--your focus wall looks like it took you a long time! I hope you have a wonderful school year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your math vocabulary cards look great! I spent a lot of time creating CCLS vocabulary cards for math last week, and now I think I have an idea about how the use them in the classroom! Thanks!

    -Meg
    TalesandTeacherisms

    ReplyDelete