Monday, July 6, 2015

Monday Made It July 6th

I'm linking up with Tara from 4th Grade Frolics for Monday Made It.
 My summer is just very short this year. Due to all of our snow days, this is the first time in the 20 years that I've been teaching that I will have been in school all 12 months. My last day was in June and my first day for the new school year is in July. It's a short summer! To top it off my building is getting new air units. (Thank goodness, I'm so tired of sweating!) so we won't actually get in to work until days before the students arrive & I am switching classrooms this year. I'm itching to make my nametags, get student names in my computer programs etc. but....we weren't given our class lists either. I'm thinking that this will be the most unprepared I've every been, I'm just going to roll with it. Since I can't work on my classroom or get things prepped, I've been working on a few things to at least make the first week go more smoothly.

The first week of school is so full of learning routines, organizing supplies etc. It's often long  and boring. I wanted to make something that would serve the purpose of helping students to feel comfortable and get to know each other, but would also get students out of their seats to help with any boredom. I created two different PowerPoint games. This one is a Would You Rather game. Students will go to the side of the room that matches their answer choice. I plan on picking a student from each side for each question to tell the class why they chose their answer.






This PowerPoint game is a "This or That" game. It also gets students moving while getting to know each other. 






My third item was to create some editable Morning Work slides. I get tired of typing in the same kind of thing each morning. I use Morning Work slides with fun, colorful backgrounds. The words are editable so that you can put in whatever fits your classroom. This set includes 19 slides!! It has back to school slides, fall slides, Halloween slides, and Thanksgiving slides. It also has 2 frog themed slides since my school has a frog theme this year. If you click on the product in my store, you can download a preview that shows all the slides. Now that I have these finished I have slides for the entire year since I created Christmas, winter, and spring slides last school year. 









post signature

5 comments:

  1. I love the getting to know you ideas! I also like the morning message! I was getting tired of typing things in each day!
    I'm glad to see another Indiana teacher!
    April
    ThePickettPress

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely understand about feeling a little bit behind when you can't get in your room. We are having summer school this year at my school so they scooped up our keys from us. I also am out of town for 3 weeks, so I feel extra behind with that. I need to be in my class with everything spread out around me to plan. It goes so fast!!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love everything you made! Your first two getting to know you powerpoints would also be good to use with Kagan Structures. My school is really big into Kagan right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live in South Texas. I always have to explain what a "snow day" is when we come across that phrase in a book.
    Your Getting to Know You power points are a really good idea. I can envision having the kids move to the side of the rug that matches their answer. Anything we can do that involves using big muscles is a winner in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your Would You Rather and This or That Powerpoints, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete